Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Dreams

Every once in a while, I would have a dream in which Connor achieved something we thought wasn't possible.  Once, about 6 years ago, it was a dream in which he stood up, ran about 10 feet, and then realized he couldn't do it and collapsed.  The expression of joy on his usually emotionless face was a sight to behold, even if it was the product of my subconscious.

Last night, I dreamt that we were getting set up for a large-scale party with the whole family around.  In the middle of the preparations, Connor was sitting in his chair, waiting to be fed, and with a group of people around, he spoke his first words.  He murmured, "Yesterday..." and we all hollered, "YESTERDAY!!" because we were so shocked that his vocalizations made a real word!  Then he said, "Tucker got in trouble." The words were slurry and difficult to pick out, unless you knew how Connor vocalized.

Next,  I went in search of my mother in the dream, as she wasn't there and she was the first person I wanted to tell this story to.  I woke up just as I was telling her in the dream.  I said, Mom, he said his first words! And we both burst into noisy, happy tears, and then I woke up with a 6 year old pressing against my side and a dog draped over my legs.

I wonder when the next dream will be, and if he will continue speaking in them.  His sentence was hilariously on topic - I'm sure that Tucker was in trouble yesterday.  Every yesterday.

In any case, it was a good dream.

No comments: