Thursday, October 24, 2019

Paying It Forward

So if you have been on my facebook timeline lately you may have seen what's been going on. But just in case no, here's a tl:dr review:

Families at our elementary school donated $$ (I set up a Google Form and was the point person) so we could all buy tickets for our crossing guard who REALLY wanted to go to a World Series game. We gave him the tickets Wednesday AM. It's gone a little viral.

Anyway, people keep thanking me for this. I keep deflecting it. All I did was set up a Google form.

I thought a lot about this in the last two days. What it comes down to for me is this: about 5 years ago I really wanted tickets to see Foo Fighters at a show in Richmond. I put that out to the universe (via social media) in a bit of a snit.

THE UNIVERSE DELIVERED.

I thanked a lot of people, and to this day feel a debt of gratitude for all the efforts made on my behalf.

Our crossing guard, Jeff, is a friend to all. He has been a stalwart and smiling presence at school since late 2014. We all love him. He may not even know my whole story (though if he reads this, he'll learn in this blog) but my need to pass the good on, especially to someone who makes our kids' days brighter, has been weighing on me since September 2014. Just knowing I could play a part in filling his bucket made the craziness worth it.

I'll never be done paying it forward, but I'm thrilled that not only was I able to help out in this, but also that the attention it's getting is resoundingly positive.  If you go and Google "Mr. Jeff" in the news tab, you'll see he's trending. I can't think of a person who deserves the recognition more.

Go Nationals! Finish the fight!

No comments: